Switch up your morning breakfast routine with this smoothie recipe from the book Eat Pretty. This is a perfect go-to for those who find themselves skipping breakfast for lack of time. For convenience purposes, green smoothies are as portable as a muffin or pastry—but so much more nutrient-rich.
Smoothies make appealing spring breakfasts since they are light and ideal vehicles for greens and veggies that energize your cells. Bump up the protein content with a scoop of a whey isolate protein powder like Zero Carb Isopure in Vanilla, or a plant-based powder like Garden Of Life Raw Protein.
If you give this recipe a try, share your creation with me on Instagram by using #bodyofgratitudenutrition
Health benefits of this recipe:
- Spinach contains bone-strengthening vitamin K and an abundance of minerals like iron, manganese, and magnesium. Eat spinach with vitamin C-rich foods like lemon or strawberries to aid in the absorption of its nutrients.
- A handful of dandelion greens has over 100 percent of your daily vitamin A needs. These greens also have diuretic properties that reduce bloating.
- Parsley is packed with iron and is a blood cleanser.
- Avocados are nature’s healthiest source of fats. The vitamin E they contain help keep skin cells strong and hydrated. They are also good sources of fiber!
- Lemons are chock full of collagen-building vitamin C and immune-boosting bioflavonoids. Bioflavonoids boost lymph flow and strengthen blood vessels, aiding in the prevention of varicose veins.
- Lemons also have properties that clean out the digestive tract and diuretic and laxative effects—helping you maintain a flat belly all day.
- Bananas have the ability to provide fast energy, perfect for your AM hustle. They also contain complex carbs that increase mood-enhancing serotonin production in the body—walk into work with a smile! Tip: the riper the banana, the more antioxidants! (Hart, 144)
See the full recipe below images.
2 cups of water
2 large handfuls of spinach leaves
1 medium handful of dandelion greens or watercress
1 medium handful of parsley, thick stems removed
½ ripe avocado
1 organic lemon, peeled
½ frozen banana
In a high-powered blend, combine the water, spinach, dandelion greens, and parsley, and blend to a coarse puree. Add the avocado, lemon (and some strips of the peel for added flavor and extra bioflavonoids, if you like), and banana. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.
- Need more protein? Add in a scoop of protein. I recommend Garden Of Life Raw Protein for a plant-based option or Nature’s Best Zero Carb Isopure if you’re cool with whey.
serves: 2-4 | total time: 10 minutes
SHOP THIS RECIPE
Calories and macros will vary based on ingredients used. Recipe macros based on 1/4 of the recipe and 1 scoop of Isopure Zero Carb Powder.
© 2023 No Easy Day Training LLC.